Saturday, May 11, 2013

Weekend Gardener

Since we moved into our house, my husband and I have tackled a lot of bush and tree removal in the yard.  The demolition part of gardening is a quick reward.  The yard looks immediately tidied and spruced up.  Currently, we're in the planning and planting phase.  We've moved on to defining beds, and adding new, removing old, or moving favorite plants.  Over the years, I've come to appreciate some of the features left behind by former owners, like the beautiful and healthy azaleas we have...



But I've also come to hate some of the other features, like the yucca plants that get overgrown with trumpet vines and poke my husband's ankles while he mows...or the current crappy view on one side of the house (see pic below).

We are lucky, because even though we are in the city, there is a lot of wildlife.  I've seen a deer in the neighborhood before...but we have tons of birds, squirrels, and regular bunny visits.  Last year, the two vegetable beds were full of veggies (and I've added two more), but I had few problems with the wildlife. Sure, I had to battle with cut worms, caterpillars, beetles, aphids, and powdery mildew...but no bird, squirrel, or bunny issues that were obvious. 

I simply put up bunny fence around the raised beds (you might be able to see in the pictures, and there is my little bunny friend).  No other deterrents were needed.  I don't know if it is because I keep the bird feeders well stocked in other areas of the yard, and regularly throw out munchies for the bunny...but we will see if my luck holds out!  


No comments:

Post a Comment