Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Crochet, Free Time, and Social Media.


This is my most recent project:  a bubble stitch dishcloth.  This pattern is pretty easy.  While I have the time off of work, I'm trying to enjoy it and be productive.  I've been learning new crochet stitches and taking time to learn to read patterns.  I regret not learning how to crochet from my grandma Tessie while she was alive.  She managed to pass on a love of trashy romance novels, and the joys of gin (the card came).  The red and white granny square blanket she made me as a child, is still one of my most treasured possessions.  But I take comfort knowing I will be able to carry on the tradition of creating things with love, for family and friends.

When there is extra time, there is usually extra thinking...which in my case, can be both good and bad.  It's given me the opportunity to do some self exploration about what I want in life, but it's also given me the time to dwell in the past or worry about the future.  In particular, I've been thinking a lot about old friends and how I have very dear friends that live in the same city, but I haven't seen (not even for coffee) in over a year.

This lack of socialization tends to be an overarching trend in my life.  I'm aware of the reason why....I'm a classic introvert.  I enjoy spending time at home alone, and it takes a lot of energy for me to reach out and make an effort to socialize.  Compound that with the fact that I talk to people for a living (I'm a counselor), and you have a person who wants very little contact with people during down time.  This explains why I married a fellow introvert, who spends a lot of time in his own head...I don't mind at all.

I love that Facebook is around and allows me to keep in some kind of touch with friends who I probably would have let slip away.  However, there's a catch.  The thing about social media like Facebook, Twitter, and this blog, is that these sites give you a illusion of social connectedness while sitting at home all day by yourself.  It isn't real.  No one can deny that sitting down with a friend for coffee and a hug, is MUCH different than clicking a button to like someone's post on Facebook.  Your brain gets some validation from the "likes" and "retweets", but it is a hollow feeling over time.  I need those friendly thumbs up and "lol's" in real life too.

I am working on putting forth more of an effort to reach out to my friends, and family too.  My friend Bryan used to call me "worst friend ever", and there's some truth in that!  For those who have known me a long time, I want you to know that even though I may not call or visit frequently, I still cherish you dearly and will always welcome a stop over, a lunch date, or a call should you choose to initiate.


"A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely."  ~Pam Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment