Friday, May 31, 2013

Possible Glutening? I'll Know in an Hour....

Coincidentally, this is the last day of Celiac Awareness Month!  And I may have been glutened...



Tonight, the hubs and I decided to get a small bit of sushi from a local place.  I've been there many times before, but they do their carry out orders from a location across the street.  When I called to place the order, I asked about whether the spicy sauce they use has any soy sauce (which isn't gluten free).  She said no, but there is soy sauce in the rice.  In my head, I was screaming "What?! Are you sure?!"  But I was at a loss...I'd never heard this before...from this place, or at any sushi place I'd gone to.  So I just said "Uhhhhhhh, I'll have to call you back" and hung up on her.

At my husband's suggestion, I got on the phone with the main store, and told them of the interaction I just had with their "to go" store.  The lovely lady informed me that there was indeed, no soy sauce in the rice.  Wonderful...I'll call back and place an order.

But...this had me second guessing EVERYTHING.  What if the original person was correct, and they had mixed the rice differently that day?  Did they get the rice from the main store, or did they make their own in the "to go" store?  The "to go" menu didn't have the same (gf) or (gfo) labels (gluten free or gluten free option)...maybe they make it differently all the time?  Maybe the main restaurant server was new and didn't know?  Who gave me the right information?!  AHHHHHH!

This is a good example of the difficulty that happens when attempting to eat out with a food allergy or sensitivity of any kind, not just Celiac disease.  It's a risk every time...because that server just has to not remember something correctly, or not remember to go the kitchen and read a label for you...and you're sick.   In most cases, I would ask more questions, be specific, or just pass on anything questionable.  In this case, I decided that calling back or getting upset wasn't worth it.  I decided to trust that one of my favorite restaurants, who has never glutened me before, would not steer me wrong this time.

I finished my sushi about 20 minutes ago, and no tummy rumbles yet...I may have escaped without consequence...

No comments:

Post a Comment