Thursday, May 23, 2013

I Hate Earwigs.....

I fully admit, I'm no country girl. I spent my early years in Queens, NY and cried the first time a stick bug landed on me.  The only bug I will touch willingly is a ladybug....I don't know why, but they are just not as creepy.

I had a firm "if you come into my house, I will smush you!" policy for bugs, until I met my husband. Now we have a catch and release policy for most bugs. He taught me a technique using plastic cups and junk mail, which I use for the friendlier bugs.  I still kill things like house centipedes (google them if you have the stomach), and especially earwigs.

Unfortunately for me, gardening usually involves some contact with bugs. I've developed a more understanding perspective over the years. Oddly enough, I've done exceptionally well in outdoor activities like hiking and tent camping.  When I'm outside, I'm in their house (so to speak), so I don't mind as much.  Today I was dead heading my snapdragons, and I felt something pinch my unloved finger. I dropped the bud, and much to my dismay, watched an earwig crawl out of it.  Cue 15 minutes of hand washing and heebee jeebies. (Not really 15 minutes but you get the point!)

So my veggie garden has been doing ok this year, until last night. I think a vole shredded two of my tomatoes....both Amish paste variety, which I was looking forward to.  The two in the middle were the ones that suffered the onslaught. I kept a spare indoors in a peat pot just in case of critter eating, so I'm prepared to replace one.


Here's the zucchini that got shredded.  I planted two close together, because I figured at least one of them would die.  Sure enough....


My husband is exceptionally pleased that the Amish Pie Pumkin is doing well.  He's dying for some pumpkin pie this fall.


 I have been procrastinating on building my 2 additional beds so it looks like I will have to add some wire mesh underneath....hopefully that will suffice in making the beds more "vole resistant"....

No comments:

Post a Comment