Monday, May 20, 2013

Polymer Clay Galore

I have spent much of this weekend working on polymer clay jewelry and trinkets.  This is in preparation of potentially selling them in a local video game store, so all of the items will be gaming related.  I'm excited to have a focus for my crafting, and it's good to get things done now, while I still have the free time available.  Things are picking up at work, and hopefully I will have a client to work with soon, which will be the end of my free time.

So far, I've been able to finish up a few World of Warcraft inspired Hearthstones. The swirls glow in the dark!  





This morning I finished up a tray of Pac-Man ghost earrings, which I've made before.  I have a pair for myself, and they have been in my Etsy shop for a while.  This is a new batch, with new colors I haven't made before.  Here's a shot before they went into the oven to bake.   Can't wait to get them painted! 


The purple & green thing at the top of the pan, is one of my clay tools that I use regularly.  The rubber grip was caked in clay and falling off, so I threw a quick handle on there out of clay to make it a little more comfortable.  

The downside to working with clay in heat and humidity is that it gets overly soft.  And having the oven warming up for baking items doesn't help at all.  Sometimes details you try to put in, won't stay if you try to move the piece.  Thankfully, the few items I've been working with have been simple, but I've still had some difficulty with excessive sticking to my work surface.  Instead of putting in the air conditioners, I'll put my clay chunks in the refrigerator to cool it off and harden it up a little between passes.  Far too hot and lazy to lug the air conditioners out of the attic today.

Right now, I'm taking a break to eat some chips and guacamole!   But then I'll be back to work later!  Hooray for productivity!  

No comments:

Post a Comment