Friday, May 17, 2013

Etsy and Blogs

Since my work load in my counseling has decreased, I've been working at increasing my exposure online to my Etsy shop and blog.  I've been spending a lot of time playing on other social media sites too.  Which is great, but it will never be a substitute from getting out in the world and talking to people.

This weekend, my sister was visiting with her boyfriend.  We spent some time wandering around a part of the city with lots of small shops and restaurants.  We popped into a used video game store to take a peek, and I noticed a large shelving area that appeared to have handmade, gaming related items.  I spoke with the man working there, who happened to be the owner, about whether they sell a lot of the handmade stuff.  He became visibly excited when I shared some photos of items I've made that were game related.  We wound up exchanging information, and I agreed to work on some clay items this week to bring to him.  

I've been thinking of trying out craft shows, and been considering selling to local stores.  I've walked by that game store many times but have never gone inside.  It just goes to show you, nothing will get the same success as selling yourself in person.  And you can't know the answer to the question, unless you ask.  If I saw other  people's handmade work, and didn't ask if there was room for mine...well, that would have just been silly.

I already have some ideas about what to work on, and I'll be going to the craft store today to pick up some supplies!  It's exciting to have a more focused project and a goal, as opposed to making random, whatever I feel like, kind of items.  Stay tuned for photos.

In other news, my friend Ben Yolton, is an awesome artist and just recently started an Etsy shop.  I wish him much success, and encourage you all to go check it out!  Yolton's Art 


No comments:

Post a Comment