Friday, June 28, 2013

Mushrooms!

I have been meaning to make more mushrooms out of clay, for terrariums or potted plants.  They are a little bit more time consuming, because I paint them by hand to get different effects.  I use a white or terra cotta clay and then prime, paint, and glaze.  I enjoy the red and white mushrooms myself, and it seems that lots of other people enjoy them as well.  I'm going to focus on a series with red and white for a while.








See?  They are fun!

I do enjoy real mushrooms and fungus too.  I try to base any mushroom designs off of real life, but my creations are certainly more stylized. I enjoy taking pictures, whether it's with a crappy cell phone camera, or with a slightly less crappy Sony Cybershot.  Here's a mushroom I found at a client's house two years ago.


"Nature alone is antique, and the oldest art a mushroom."--Thomas Carlyle

No comments:

Post a Comment