Monday, October 1, 2012

October *used to be* Celiac Awareness Month!

Edit: When I first posted this, I was under the impression that Celiac Awareness month was still in October based on Udi's Facebook and Twitter posts.  Upon further research, it used to be celebrated in October, but the official month is now recognized as May.  Oh well, I'm going to post some things about Celiac issues this month anyway!  




For those of you who might not know, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease this past summer.  It was an interesting route to gain a diagnosis, to say the least.  I will share some of my story. 

The story does not begin with me, but with my mother.  My mother was never diagnosed, but put herself on a gluten free diet after doing elimination tests.  She's been gluten free for over 3 years now, and was a great resource for information.  During conversations with her, I described weird symptoms I was having on a daily basis.  Headaches, joint pain, tingling in my fingers, stomach issues, fatigue, etc.  All of these symptoms are not obvious in themselves, but when they are chronic and happening together, they all point to Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance.  


She moved in with us earlier in the year and we had started incorporating more gluten free items into the menu and pantry on a daily basis.  It wasn't until I had substantially reduced my gluten intake, that my symptoms could be noticeably tied to what I ate.  When I would get a weird symptom or have a day where I felt bad, mom would say "It's the gluten!".  One time, I ate a gluten filled dinner....gorging on pizza, chicken nuggets, and garlic knots.  The next day, I felt like someone had beat me thoroughly with a baseball bat.  

Eventually, I couldn't wait any longer and decided to get the blood test done, even though I didn't have health insurance.  Thankfully the lab the lab that did the blood work only charged me 200 instead of the 800 on the bill they sent!  I got my diagnosis, and simply knowing what was wrong with me was an incredible relief, and entirely worth the money!

In the months that followed diagnosis, I've been entirely gluten free diet to the best of my ability.  In just 2 1/2 months or so, I feel better than I have in 4 years.  

Here's some Celiac facts to help start off awareness month:

  • It is estimated that 95% of celiacs are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions.  
  • There are no pharmaceutical cures for Celiac Disease.  Just a lifelong gluten free diet.
  • The average person waits 6-10 years for an accurate Celiac diagnosis.
  • Celiacs must not just avoid wheat products—specifically kamut, semolina, durum, spelt, faro, and einkorn—but also rye, barley, and oats.  

    More info to come as the month wears on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment