Monday, October 8, 2012

More Gluten Free Hijinx

Having just come back from a small grocery trip, I feel exhausted.  It really is a pain in the ass.  It just took me 45 minutes to buy 3 bags of groceries, mostly because you have to read just about every label of packaged food that you buy.  There are some items that are gluten free (GF) that are not outwardly labeled as such.  Even things like lunch meat (which you would think was GF) have food starch for filler which will frequently make me sick.  Anything with modified food starch is questionable, unless it specifically says corn starch or potato starch.  Can't eat anything seasoned with soy sauce.  And honestly, you'd be surprised at how many things have wheat or wheat starch that you didn't even realize.  Some brands of wasabi peas/almonds, Starbuck's strawberry and peach yogurts in those parfaits, lunch meats, malt vinegar, fake crab that goes in sushi...I keep finding new things that I can't eat all the time.  

The one thing that I miss:  BEER.  Beer is the only thing I may have cried over, just a little.  There are some great pasta substitutes.  There are some great bread substitutes.  There are some great cracker substitutes.  I like the GF beers, and hard cider is great.  However, I doubt the variety and flavor of GF beer will ever fully compare to the beers I loved. I love weissbiers, lambics, Flemish sours, saisons...the list goes on. I don't know if wine will ever hold the same place in my heart....

For now, I will stick to some Bailey's on ice.


1 comment:

  1. I need to try and develop a GF beer that you'll actually really enjoy. Maybe a GF IPA. I've researched it before but I didn't go through with because of the expense. I'll get back to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete