Monday, January 28, 2013

Paleo and Juicing

We just bought this Omega Juicer.  I have a little anxiety about spending such a large sum of money (in my opinion) on a small kitchen appliance.  However, my husband convinced me that it will be worth it compared to the Jack LaLanne juicer, which is hard to clean and annoying to use.  I look forward to testing it out.

Basically, my husband and I have been talking about doing a juice cleanse for a little while.  I haven't want to do a full week or more of juicing using the LaLanne juicer, so I poo pooed the whole idea.  Now I don't have an excuse...but this time round won't be a traditional, only juice cleanse.  I plan on using the juice as a supplement to a paleo diet for a few weeks.  I'm not vegetarian, and I enjoy a good pork product.  Hence the paleo part of the "cleanse" we're going to try.

For those of you unfamiliar with paleo, I've written up a simple explanation.  There are varied ways of doing it, and I'm just picking out the main foods.

Things that you can eat:
  • lean meats, fish, wild game, eggs, etc.
  • pretty much any fruits
  • lots of vegetables
  • nuts and seeds
Things to eat in moderation, mainly oils and dried fruit:
  • olive oil
  • avocado oil
  • walnut oil
  • flax seed oil
  • canola oil
  • dried fruits
Things you don't eat:  
  • Any milk or milk product
  • Cereal grains:  barley, corn, millet, oats, rice, rye, wheat, etc.
  • Cereal like grains:  amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa
  • Legumes:  any beans, peas, peanuts, lentils, soybean (or soy products)
  • Starchy veggies:  potatoes, tapioca, yams, etc.
  • Salty foods: bacon, salami, hot dogs, salted nuts, pickled foods, sausages, olives, cheese, etc.
  • Fatty meats
  • All sugary drinks, soft drinks, etc.
  • Processed sugars & candy
Of course, this is a very basic overview.  I don't know about the legitimate health benefits.  I'm not a nutritionist, but I don't think this is a good long term diet.  The reason I want to try it, is really to weed out any potential food sensitivity I might have in addition to the gluten.  I really think that sugar is giving me a hard time, but I can't be certain until I cut it out completely for a while.  We'll only be doing this for a week or two, and then I will be keeping track of adding back the sugar, as well as corn, rice, and soy to see how I feel.  I'm going to pre-plan some meals and juice so I can make minimal trips to the grocery store.  It's going to be interesting!  I can't see foods that look like this being a problem!




No comments:

Post a Comment