Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pennies from Heaven

Regardless of your spiritual inclination, aside from those atheists among us, we all like to believe that our long gone loved ones are watching over us.  I'm not knocking the atheists out there, I think everyone should do what makes them feel good.  And it makes me feel good to think that my grandparents, great aunts and uncles, and great grandparents are watching over me.  The whole post might seem bizarre to some people, and if you think I'm crazy after reading this, that's ok with me.  I love you all anyway!

Almost everyone has heard the phrase "pennies from heaven" at some point.  (I didn't realize it was a song and a movie too!).  For anyone who hasn't heard of it, it can mean different things to different people.  Some people believe that angels are sending you blessings.  I don't believe that money is magically appearing, but I do believe that my loved ones might tap me on the shoulder, so to speak, and draw my attention to the loose change around me as a way of saying hi. And in my family, it isn't pennies, but dimes in particular that seem to pop up in weird places, and in weird ways.

A little back story:  My grandfather, Sal, passed away when my mother and aunt were very young.  My grandfather collected dimes unknown to other family  members.  Sometime after he passed, I believe it was my aunt that had a dream about dimes and it was involving the closet.  When my nani checked the closet, she found a box of dimes.  I don't think I got that story quite right, but either way, that seemed to be the start of the dimes in my family.

A few years ago, I started noticing dimes regularly.  My husband thought I was strange, reading too much into things, looking too hard for signs, etc, but he humored me until a particular incident.  I was standing in line in CVS drugstore, with an armful of items.  Looking around, everything was fairly still and I was a few people back from the only open register. There was rustling beside me, and I felt a tap on the shoulder from the 20 something man behind me in line.  As I turned around, he smiled at me.  He held out his hand and said "I found this dime, do you want it?"  I  look down at the dime, smiled back, and said "That's so nice, but you can keep it.".  This exchange made me smile for the rest of the day.  I found it odd that a stranger would offer me a dime at random, when there were other people in the line, and no one was visibly rummaging in their bags for payment.  At least if it was "Did you drop this?" I would have brushed it off as coincidence.  Even my skeptical husband had to admit that it was an unlikely event.

The other day, I was feeling a little down and I happened to find two dimes within an hour. My mood improved after the second one, because I felt like that was my nani's way of telling me there was no reason to feel crummy.  I think we all need a boost from time to time.  Keeping a positive attitude is something I strive to do. 

Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you're going to live your life.
~Joel Osteen

No comments:

Post a Comment